Shiver me timbers and drop a belaying pin, it’s Talk Like a Pirate Day! So, on this most reverently silly of holidays, speak like a swashbuckler, gab like a buccaneer and verbalize like a marauder! Here’s a brief list of our favorite Pirate Movies to get you in the spirit:
- Treasure Island (1950): There are many versions of this, the most classic of pirate stories, but this is the one that I remember seeing first. It still holds up well. There’s also Muppet Treasure Island (1996) if you’re squeamish (or have a thing for felt pigs).
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003): Say what you will about the quality of the sequels this one, at least, was a freakin’ blast. Not bad for a movie based on an old theme park ride.
- Yellowbeard (1983): Not the best movie, I’ll admit, but it is Monty Python smooshed together with Cheech and Chong! When in a certain, um… “mood”, it’s exactly what the doctor ordered.
- The Princess Bride (1987): Some people might argue that this isn’t really a pirate movie but that’s only because they can’t find anything else to bitch about with this masterpiece. Some people are jerks.
- The Goonies (1985): One of the best films ever made. It gave us One-eyed Willy, Sloth and the haunting Truffle Shuffle. This movie forced a generation of kids to ransack their attics looking for the forgotten treasure map that just had to be up there.
If you’re nearby a participating Krispy Kreme, you can also get some free booty!