Sci-fi/Comedy, 102 Minutes, 1999
In celebration of its 15th anniversary, MTV has put together an oral retrospective of this classic. In “Galaxy Quest: An Oral History” they interview the cast, the crew and the creators to paint an intensely interesting narrative of how the movie was made.
I’m not going to review the movie. It’s damn near perfect and that’s that. Instead I’m going to wax nostalgic about some of my favorite things.
- No movie ever, in the entire history of film, has been better cast.
- The absolute best line in the movie is, “We’ve got to get out of here before one of those things kills Guy!” It’s an incredibly layered joke and one of few pieces of true genius you’re likely to see in this life.
- The serial number on the NSEA Protector’s hull is “NTE 3120”. NTE stands for “Not The Enterprise”.
- When Gwen sees the chompers and says “Well, fuck that!” there’s no doubt what she’s saying even if they did loop over it to get their PG rating.
- The DVD release featured a secondary audio track: Thermian language with English subtitles. Watching it with friends is some of the most fun you’ll ever have with a TV.
Although the initial theatrical release was somewhat disappointing we were lucky enough to see it opening weekend on a nice, big screen. The movie almost instantly brought the audience together like few do and is, hands down, one of my favorite theater experiences.